Dealing with Absenteeism
Identify the challenging member in a group.
- If a member is not at a meeting make sure he is notifying the VP before the meeting to ensure “excused absence” status.
- Ask the chronic absentee person about why they are absent so often, and explain the risk of termination of membership.
- As good an idea as a warning letter may be, it should be the last resort.
What does the absenteeism do to a chapter?
- It hinders chapter growth.
- It diminishes the opinion of other PRE members that make the meeting week after week.
- Cause and effect, if he/she doesn’t come then it is ok for me not to also.
- Talk to the individual and explain why his presence is important.
- Discuss solutions to absenteeism. Ask that he send a person to fill his seat, i.e.: coworker, family member, or other networking professionals.
- Be assumptive when he calls you “okay, who are you sending as your replacement?”